Process Engineer II
Merrick & Company is seeking an experienced Process Engineer for our Los Alamos, NM office. Client projects for this position require US Citizenship.
There are multiple positions. Please apply only to the position that is the best fit for your experience.
Process engineer to work primarily on cutting edge nuclear laboratory and energy projects. A successful candidate will be placed in a key engineering role, working within a small, multi-disciplinary team of engineers and designers to execute design and engineering on projects.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Analyzes equipment specifications and performance requirements to determine appropriate designs.
- Prepares process design deliverables including:
- Process Flow Diagrams
- Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams
- Orifice, relief valve, and equipment sizing calculations
- Process line sizing calculations
- Equipment and Instrument datasheets
- Vendor coordination for selection of instrumentation and equipment.
- Works with other process engineers to determine accuracy and completeness of design.
- Coordination of design inputs and design activities with other engineering disciplines in a team environment.
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Verbal Communication – Able to clearly communicate to others at all levels within the organization.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment.
- Client projects for this position require US Citizenship.
- Candidate must be capable of obtaining a Q clearance.
- Bachelor’s degree (B. S.) / Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering from an Accredited Program;
- A minimum of four (4) years related experience and/or training.
- Experience in Department of Energy (DOE) nuclear projects is strongly preferred.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Professional Engineer license: New Mexico – or the ability to obtain reciprocity
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office software and Internet software. In addition, experience in the following process software packages is advantageous:
- AFT Arrow
- AFT Fathom
- AutoCad, Preferred
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.