Sr. Electrical Designer I – Electrical and Facility Design
Merrick & Company is looking for a Sr. Electrical Designer for our growing San Antonio, TX office. This office specializes in Federal, State and Local Government electrical design projects including medium voltage power, gas distribution, and facility electrical systems. This is a full-time position with target start date of February 2018.
Work involves a variety of activities including conceptual and detailed design / documentation of medium voltage power distribution including 15kV and 35kV of overhead and underground lines, service transformers, and electrical service to industrial, commercial and residential properties. Work requires knowledge of the NESC, CPS Energy or other utility’s standards, experience with 15kV and 35kV design for overhead and or underground systems, NEC as applicable for over 1000V design, field investigations and construction support. Candidate shall be capable of performing electrical calculation, design/documentation, and non-routine assignments with little or no direction. Knowledge of GIS is a must. Knowledge of BIM (especially REVIT) and AutoCAD is highly desired. Construction administration will include As-Built drawing review, site inspection, and site investigation report production.
Candidate shall have excellent communication and technical writing skills and meet expectations for attendance and punctuality.
- Eight (8) years minimum of overhead electrical, underground electrical or combination of experience is required
- Experience with CPS Energy or other electric utility design projects is required
- Experience with DOD government work is highly desired
- Minimum two (2) years of experience using ArcGIS/REVIT/AutoCAD or other design software based drawing generation
- Experience using electrical calculation tools is desired, including lighting and power software such as AGi32 and Power Tools SKM
- Proficient using Microsoft Office Excel & Word
- Experience using technical codes: NESC, NEC, ISA, IEEE Regulatory Codes Experience in document generation for power distribution and instrumentation & controls
- Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship
- Associates Degree in CADD or technical college certification is preferred
- Local candidates strongly preferred
- Degree Requirements: Associates Degree preferred
- Candidate must pass a background check given the criteria set by the client
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This job requires site visits on developed and non-developed land. This role routinely uses field supplies such as, but not limited to: stakes, hammers, machete, marking paint and distance measurement devices.
- When applying for a new role, please note the following requirements:
- An employee must have a minimum of 12 months in their current position. Merrick believes this is generally the amount of time it takes to become fully integrated into the employee’s current role.
- Exceptions may be made based on business needs.
- An employee must have a "good standing" in their current role, which is defined as a performance rating of “Meets Expectations” or higher. An employee cannot be on a current performance improvement plan or verbal or written warning for any reason.
- Prior to submitting a resume, the employee is required to tell their current manager they are applying for a new position.
This is a non-exempt position.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.