Merrick & Company is searching for a Project Accountant to join our Finance & Accounting team in our Greenwood Village (Metro Denver), CO office.
The Project Accountant will primarily be responsible for entering and maintaining projects for government and private clients in Merrick’s financial system (BST) and finalizing monthly client invoices. Additional responsibilities include supporting Project Managers with revenue recognition, budget maintenance and ensuring compliance with contract documentation policies. The ideal candidate will be able to multi-task; manage monthly deadlines; possess strong interpersonal skills and meet expectations for attendance and punctuality.
Local candidates only. This is a non-exempt position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Project Support:
- Set up and make revisions to projects in Merrick’s financial system (BST).
- File and organize contracts, modifications, and change orders.
- Prepare invoices, monitor unbilled fees and be able to explain non-current amounts.
- Understand revenue recognition calculations within the financial system (BST) and support Project Managers when questions arise.
- Reconcile jobs to close out.
- Serve as liaison between client, Project Managers, and Finance & Accounting team as needed.
- Demonstrate competence in various accounting software applications especially BST
- Job Cost:
- Knowledge of job cost accounting principles is required.
- Experience and knowledge of federal government billing and rate adjustment process.
- Understanding of the difference between the following types of contracts:
- Cost Plus Fixed Fee (CPFF)
- Time & Materials (T&M)
- Lump Sum (FFP)
- Able to evaluate the drivers of project profitability.
- Education and/or Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting is a plus, along with two (2) years’ experience OR a minimum five (5) years’ experience in a Project Accounting function.
- Prior experience working at an Architecture/Engineering firm is a plus.
- Experience with billing government contracts and a general understanding of FAR (Federal Acquisitions Regulations) is preferred.
- Ability to identify and escalate, as appropriate, potential project issues with recommendation for solutions.
- Demonstrated capabilities for review, analysis and reporting project status to Project Managers.
- Demonstrates a high degree of accuracy in all requirements of the position.
- Proven ability to perform multiple tasks, collect and analyze information in a complex operating environment.
- Possesses a strong customer service orientation
- Ability to read and interpret various types of contract documentation.
- Must be able to articulate and write clear, concise, and informed communications to staff members, operational employees, and senior management in person, via email, and in group settings.
- Mathematical Skills:
- Ability to calculate and analyze numerical data using MS Excel functions and calculations
- Must have a high level of computer literacy in, MS Excel and intermediate skills in MS Access.
- Comfortable with using large data-sets to analyze projects and prepare client invoices.
- Proven ability to learn new systems quickly is essential.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.