Merrick & Company's High Performance Facilities team provides full design and construction support services to Air Force Civil Engineer Center (AFCEC). This position will be based out of our Joint Base Andrews, Maryland project office. Local candidates only. Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship.
The Construction Observer is to accomplish activities typically provided by government construction observers employed within Air Force Civil Engineering units. The Construction Observer shall act as an extension of the Air Force’s management team. It shall be the Construction Observer’s Responsibility to perform Quality Assurance for the Project and ensure the construction is in accordance with the contract documents, accepted designs, and with all applicable standards/criteria and codes. Construction observers shall report to work on-site daily. Services may be required during non-standard duty hours, weekends, and Government holidays to support project completion requirements.
- Perform construction quality assurance services. Quality assurance services are those actions taken to assure that the Construction Contractor is fulfilling the obligations of the contract and schedule and working in compliance with accepted Quality Control and Health and Safety Plans. Timely submittal reviews, identifying any deviations to full implementation of the approved Health and Safety and Quality Control plans, ensuring Contractor’s daily records are accurate, tracking correction of deficiencies and ensuring deficiencies are properly accounted for in progress payment requests and providing timely notice of non-compliance to COR. Services may be required during non-standard duty hours, weekends, and Government holidays to support project completion requirements.
- Assist in facilitating design review activities. Primary role of the Title II contractor during design activities include:
- Coordinating customer and installation personnel participate in design coordination and
- review activities.
- Consolidating input from the customer and installation personnel to maintain project schedule.
- Providing constructability review of plans and specifications.
- Supporting coordination of project approvals.
- Ensuring design decisions/technical interchanges are documented for the record.
- Monitor construction progress, recommend progress payments, attend construction management and review meetings.
- Monitor progress in accordance with approved schedule and provide recommendations associated with schedule compliance.
- Assist with validation and review of progress payment consistent with approved earned value schedule of values.
- Keep and maintain accurate and detailed records of project progress during all stages of
- Ensure the Construction Contractor adequately superintends worksite activities to include quality control and safety responsibilities.
- Review all submittals for completeness, technical accuracy, and compliance with contract specifications.
- Assist the CO in the enforcement of all Labor Standards Provisions of the construction contract.
- In conjunction with the proper inspections, monitor contract labor compliance, perform on-site interviewing of selected employees, check for posting of wage rates and nondiscrimination notices, and fill out labor interview reports and forward to the CO and COR with the inspection report.
- Observe and document pre-final and final inspections and testing of all systems pertaining to the construction project and ensure the Construction Contractor maintains a complete and accurate punch list.
- Provide the COR with a complete list of all defects and omissions written throughout the project with the date of correction noted beside each item.
- After the final inspection, confirm the Construction Contractor’s progress correcting the final defects and omissions.
- Ensure that the DD Form 1354, "Transfer and Acceptance of Military Real Property" is properly prepared and ready for beneficial occupancy and project close-out.
The Construction Observer shall not:
- Authorize deviations from the contract documents.
- Approve substitute materials or equipment.
- Assume any of the responsibilities of the construction contractor’s superintendent or of
- Expedite the work for the construction contractor.
- Advise on, or issue directions concerning, construction means, methods, techniques,
- sequences or procedures, or safety precautions and programs in connection with the work.
- Reject work or require special inspection or testing.
- Order the Construction Contractor to stop the work or any portion thereof, except under a
- life-threatening, health-threatening or safety-threatening condition or event.
- Grant a time extension.
- Obligate an expenditure of funds.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in construction practices, procedures, and testing including:
- Three (3) years of quality control management of DoD construction projects.
- Must have attended a professionally accredited Quality Control Management Course (e.g., conducted by the US Army Corps of Engineers or an independent private company) within the last five (5) years; Contractor’s Self-Developed Programs will not fulfill this requirement.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or applicable field related to storm drainage.
- US Army Corps of Engineers experience is a plus.
- Security Clearance is preferred. (Secret)
- Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship
- Local Candidates only.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.