Project Manager – Senior Scientist
Merrick is seeking an experienced Project Manager with a background in virology or related field and experience in containment (BSL3) laboratory programs to administer projects, provide organizational leadership support, and to assist in general management for projects in the New York Metropolitan area. Relocation will be considered for the ideal candidate.
As a Senior Scientist, the successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate laboratory skills and safety procedures including proper handling of chemicals and/or biologicals, use of aseptic technique
- Perform viability assessments on biological materials, appropriate authentication/characterization procedures for biological materials
- Prepare and/or propagate biological materials
- Record data in appropriate format within digitized data management systems, to include translation of data in notebooks, batch records, or advanced databases
- Monitor laboratory equipment and report issues if equipment is not functioning within appropriate specifications
- Demonstrate advanced computer skills, including ability to support technology transfer between systems
As a Project Manager, the successful candidate will:
- Assist in management of multi-discipline facility design, laboratory operations, biosafety and biosecurity related projects to be executed primarily out of client site, but also Merrick’s other offices.
- Provide project management, procurement/acquisition support, and subject matter expertise to US Government clients
- Assist in business development (BD) activities including presentations to potential clients, preparation of proposals and estimating work (i.e. seller-doer)
- Become familiar and comply with Merrick’s project management systems, procedures and reporting protocols, and report regularly to Merrick senior management on project performance
- Support the development of improved project management tools and applications for laboratory, biosafety, biosecurity consulting projects
- Monitor scope, schedule, budget, deliverables and client expectations during pre-project and execution phases of projects
- Communicate and coordinate with all project stakeholders as required for successful project execution.
- Maintain and develop positive client relationships
- Be available to travel, including internationally for project and BD work
- Have or be able to obtain security clearance for work with the US Federal Government.
- Assist in monitoring and directing the day-to-day work of project technical staff, consultants, contractors, and meet expectations for attendance and punctuality.
- Apply analytical skills to project approaches, standards, and solutions, throughout project lifecycle
General Management skills and responsibilities may include:
- Flexibility and experience to receive and disposition a variety of technical and project management inquiries and issues on a daily basis.
- Supervision and coordination of tasks within a laboratory environment.
- May be tasked to participate in a variety of professional and/or social societies or programs designed to elevate Merrick’s professional and community standing.
- High degree of professionalism, integrity, and business ethics required.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrated history of performing technical work in containment laboratory (BSL3).
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multidisciplinary projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills to interface successfully with clients and team members.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a project management capacity
- Experience with US Government and project logistics are strongly preferred
- Client projects for this position require United States Citizenship (or capability to obtain within 6 months)
- PhD from accredited University of Higher Education Institution.
- Good working knowledge of the biosafety and biosecurity field, emerging technologies, government/academic/industrial programs.
- Past performance working in or for U.S. federal agencies (i.e., DoD, DHS, HHS) strongly preferred.
- The job requires the ability to stand for extended periods in a containment laboratory.
- The job requires the ability to perform full-time work in a containment laboratory.
- This environment requires entrance and exit showering.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This job operates in a professional office environment and a high containment laboratory (BSL3). This role routinely uses standard office equipment, such as but not limited to computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines, as well as laboratory equipment.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company, an employee owned company, offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.