Merrick & Company is a $125M company with over 550 employees. We operate from 18 offices across the US, Canada and Mexico. Our firm is an award-winning, dynamic, growing engineering consulting firm serving public and private clients. We thrive at the intersection of purpose, vision, and values with a strong commitment to SOLVING, GROWING, LIVING!
Reporting to and partnering with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Controller will play a key role in maintaining and improving the financial accounting, reporting, and internal control integrity of Merrick & Company. The ideal candidate will have previous experience as a corporate-level Controller; exceptional people management skills; experience working with project management and executive staff; thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic and collaborative environment, and an active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license.
Responsibilities & Requirements:
Finance & Accounting:
Actively direct and manage the Financial Services department personnel and functions for domestic and international company and subsidiaries. Functions include general ledger, project accounting, financial reporting, accounts receivable and payable and payroll.
Lead Financial Services in completing on-time monthly and annual accounting closes. Ensure accuracy of monthly financial reports.
Ensure all accounting practices and transactions comply with GAAP, Federal Acquisition Regulations and company policies.
Maintain, document, communicate, and monitor the company’s system of internal controls and accounting policies and procedures within the department and across the company.
Monitor and manage the domestic and international daily cash position of the company.
Partner with ITS on the maintenance, procedures and upgrades of the finance and accounting components of the company’s ERP software (BST Enterprise) as well as any ITS initiatives that involve financial data management and reporting.
Identify and implement changes to continually improve the efficiency, effectiveness and accuracy of financial reporting.
Support domestic and international initiatives undertaken by the firm including acquisition activities. Support the annual budgeting process.
Provide senior management with the financial information needed to manage projects, business units, departments and subsidiaries.
Coordinate and manage audit and tax activities, domestic and international, performed internally and by financial partners, including support of government audits.
Ensure compliance with various tax regulations affecting the company, both domestic and international.
Work with financial and tax consultants to lead financial support of international proposals.
Leadership and Supervision
- Supervise the Accounting and Finance staff, giving, seeking, and acting on feedback as needed to develop a high-performance team, promote career development and peak professional performance.
- Must show an ability to create and foster a collaborative working environment across corporate departments and operations business units within the company.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in identifying, establishing, modifying, and communicating critical priorities, in a dynamic environment, to ensure meeting required deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills across functional disciplines within the Accounting & Finance department and throughout the company.
- Must demonstrate mastery in conceptual accounting principles and procedures, as well mechanical accounting, analysis, and systems skills including multi-company / multi-currency consolidations.
- Proficiency in using and developing advanced Excel spreadsheets.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, demonstrating the ability to conceptualize, create, and execute flexible and innovative solutions to accounting and reporting issues.
- Must demonstrate successful leadership abilities and organizational skills.
- Ability to both give and receive constructive feedback on performance as well as establish and execute meaningful objectives.
- Commitment to support and promote an employee ownership corporate structure and culture.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business from an accredited program with an Accounting major required.
- Active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license required.
- Background in Big 4 public accounting is preferred.
- Twelve (12) years minimum accounting experience.
- Five (5) years minimum experience as a corporate-level controller or as an Assistant Controller/Accounting Director in a larger corporation required.
- Outstanding knowledge and understanding of GAAP.
- Experience in the engineering, architecture, or construction industry is desirable.
- International accounting and regulatory experience required.
- Experience with Federal Acquisition Regulation and DCAA audit is preferable.
- ERP systems experience required.
- BST Enterprise experience preferred.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, scanners, and plotters.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company, an employee owned company, offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.