Sr. Controls and Building Automation System Designer/Commissioning Agent
Merrick & Company is looking for a Controls / Building Automation System Designer with extensive field experience in the installation and commissioning of laboratory systems to join our Kanata (Ottawa area), ON office. This office supports both complex laboratory and nuclear design projects.
The Controls/BAS Designer will perform design and layout of building automation systems including point lists / I/O requirements, system architecture, and sequences of operation, and coordinates with other disciplines including mechanical HVAC, electrical, and architecture. Work involves a variety of activities including conceptual and detailed design, construction administration, and commissioning for complex, high performance life science and nuclear laboratory facilities. This Senior Designer shall perform non-routine assignments with little or no direction leading to project success and total client satisfaction.
Specific Position Requirements
- Have over ten years of practical design, installation, and commissioning experience of control systems installed in complex life science and nuclear facilities.
- Be capable of generating detailed design documents including reports, calculations, drawings, and specifications suitable for the construction of life science containment, and nuclear facilities
- Be capable of generating commissioning plans; write commissioning specifications; develop commissioning installation checklists and functional test procedures; verify and validate commissioned systems controls and equipment; document commissioning process, develop final commissioning report, and develop systems manuals
- Be responsible for the review of shop drawings and contractor generated pricing
- Review and assess in construction projects for compliance with design documents, design intent, owner’s requirements, and applicable codes
- Answer complex questions in the field and in formal written format, generate formal instructions, issue reports on site reviews and financial progress
- Experienced in leading design and construction meetings with project stakeholders including other designers, contractors, owners, code officials, etc.
- Have a working knowledge of building systems beyond controls include HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and architectural systems and how the systems operate together to achieve total building functionality
- Excellent communication skills, both spoken and written to internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in business development is an asset
- Project management experience with complex construction projects is an asset
- AutoCAD and Revit experience is an asset
- Performs non-routine assignments with no direction.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Associates Degree – Drafting/Design or Technical College Certification or Equivalent Experience is a plus
- Ten (10) years experience, minimum is required
- CL3 experience is required
- Client projects for this position requires Canadian citizenship
- Client projects for this position require Canadian Government Secret clearance. Candidate must have or be able to obtain required clearance.
- Ability to spend 3-5 days per week at a client site outside Ottawa for a period of several years
- Ability to additionally travel to project/client locations located in Canada and internationally.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- This position requires that the candidate must be physically mobile in and around construction sites and facilities.
- The candidate must be able to climb ladders, crawl in and around mechanical space with piping and ductwork, carry test instruments and equipment up to 50 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, plotters and scanners.
- This job operates on client construction sites and facilities.
Additional information – Applicable Canadian benefits
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage; RSA unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.