Merrick is seeking an experienced Project Manager to administer projects, provide technical leadership, and to assist in general management for projects and staff in our Kanata, Ontario office. The prospective candidate will have profit and loss and execution responsibility for projects assigned.
As Project Manager, the successful candidate will:
- Manage multi-discipline facility design and related projects to be executed primarily out of Merrick’s Kanata office.
- Assist in business development activities including presentations to potential clients, preparation of proposals and estimating work (i.e. seller-doer)
- Be accountable for defined financial performance on projects under their responsibility. This will include but not be limited to establishment and achievement of target gross margin figures, management of primarily lump sum work, and delivery of profit targets as agreed.
- Become familiar and comply with Merrick’s project management systems, procedures and reporting protocols, and report regularly to Merrick senior management on project performance
- Monitor and manage scope, schedule, budget, deliverables and client expectations during pre-project and execution phases of projects
- Communicate and coordinate with all project stakeholders as required for successful project execution.
- Maintain and develop positive client relationships
- Travel will be required, both within Canada and to locations in domestic USA and possibly overseas. Forecast travel is likely less than 30% but will vary with project and business unit demands. A valid passport will need to be acquired if not already possessed.
As Technical Leader, the successful candidate will:
- Provide technical leadership on projects (preferably in Electrical, Architectural or Mechanical disciplines)
- Work with Merrick Discipline Leaders and other senior technical staff to provide guidance on technical issues and assist in design efforts. Will also be responsible for discipline resource assignment and coordination with respective Discipline leaders to properly staff and execute the work.
- Work with other LS BU project managers and Merrick financial and technical staff to coordinate and execute work both within the business unit and support to other projects as required.
- Assist in monitoring and directing the day-to-day work of project technical staff and meet expectations for attendance and punctuality.
General Management skills and responsibilities may include:
- Flexibility and experience to receive and disposition a variety of technical and administrative inquiries and issues on a daily basis.
- May be tasked to participate in a variety of professional and/or social societies or programs designed to elevate Merrick’s professional and community standing.
- High degree of professionalism, integrity, and business ethics required.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to manage multidiscipline engineer/ designer/technical projects.
- The successful candidate will utilize strong interpersonal skills to interface successfully with clients.
- Demonstrated experience in managing highly technical projects (high containment lab work, complex HVAC and controls and or clean rooms, etc. projects are preferred)
- Construction administration and design build experience also preferred.
- Must have a minimum of six (6) to eight (8) years’ experience in a Technical Management capacity
- Must be a Canadian Citizen (or capability to obtain, within 6 months)
- Fluent in French and English is preferred.
- Candidate must hold their Professional Engineer (P.Eng) or OAA architect status in Ontario or equivalent. (Registration in Ontario is preferred).
- Bachelor of Sciences degree or equivalent, from accredited University or Higher Education Institution
- Local candidates preferred. Relocation will be considered.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, scanners, and plotters.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; RRSP, unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.