Senior Mechanical Engineer – Energy & Chemicals
Merrick is seeking a Mechanical Engineer who is a subject matter expert in the Power sector with at least 15 years of experience. This position will be full time.
The position is for Merrick’s Chattanooga, TN office with project work occurring throughout the Tennessee Valley and southeast.
- Develop scopes of work based on RFPs and pre-bid meetings with clients.
- Interpret scopes-of-work in the Power sector and translate them into executable project plans
- Interface with operating personnel at the generating stations to conduct root cause analysis and solve problems
- Communicate clearly with client project managers to report project status and describe technical solutions
- Support Merrick project managers by drafting a comprehensive technical approach for each proposal
- Contribute to the preparation of construction documents including drawings, specifications, and equipment datasheets
- Observe construction of structures, systems, and components engineered by Merrick in the Power sector
- Mentor other mechanical engineers and designers working in the Power sector
Required Credentials and Skills:
- Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering from an ABET accredited school
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in the power sector including coal fired, combined cycle and combustion gas turbine generating stations.
- Experience walking down power systems and providing high-level condition assessments.
- Knowledge and experience in the use of consensus standards including ASME B31.1 and the ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel codes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Professional engineering license
Desired Credentials and Skills:
- Master of science in mechanical engineering
- Knowledge of hydroelectric facilities
- Cogen and CHP projects
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Travel to power generating sites and equipment fabricator shop locations
- Walking down plant systems and equipment, which includes climbing ladders and stairs
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job will take place in a professional office environment when not in the field (20% travel is anticipated). This role routinely uses standard office equipment including computers, phones, and plotting equipment.
Apply online only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes will be accepted.
- Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
- We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within; our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
- Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.