Mechanical Engineer I – Facilities Design
Merrick is seeking a Design Engineer I to provide HVAC and Plumbing design for industrial, institutional and government Facilities in our Kanata, Ontario office. Client projects for this position require Canadian Citizenship. Local candidates only.
The person will provide HVAC and Plumbing design for facilities projects for a variety of projects. Design tasks will include Design Calculations, Equipment selection and layout, and System selection and layout. Part time efforts will be devoted to site inspection and commissioning. This position is primarily a production role and will be part of a design team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree (B. S.) / Mechanical Engineering from an A.B.E.T. Accredited Program.
- A minimum of two (2) to five (5) years related experience and/or training in the design of mechanical heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems for large buildings is a plus
- EIT strongly preferred. Candidate is expected to attain PE at earliest opportunity.
- Good computer design software, AutoCAD and Revit skills are preferred.
- Local candidates only.
- Client projects for this position require Canadian Citizenship.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into design; Uses feedback to modify designs. Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations;
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Verbal Communication – Able to clearly communicate to others at all levels within the organization.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment and meets expectations for attendance and punctuality.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- Work at jobsites will be required inclusive of active construction and or commissioning efforts. Will require access to/from elevated areas, functional and operational equipment and donning of appropriate PPE
- Air travel and business trips will be required within Canada, continental USA and possible overseas work as well.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, plotters and scanners.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage; RSA unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.