Mechanical Facilities (HVAC) Design Engineer
Merrick & Company's Nuclear Services & Technology team provides full service nuclear design solutions to the federal government (DOE, NNSA and NIST), nuclear research, nuclear medicine, and the commercial nuclear power industries. Merrick is seeking a highly motivated, team oriented Mechanical Engineer to support our operations in Los Alamos, NM.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for Mechanical HVAC and Facility Plumbing/Piping system design, be able and willing to perform CAD as well as engineering, be nimble in accepting a wide range of assignments, both nuclear and non-nuclear, and enjoy a team design environment.
The engineer will design HVAC and Plumbing/Piping systems for a variety of facility projects. Work typically includes support of project proposals; design calculations; developing process flow diagrams, piping and instrumentation diagrams, and sequences of operations; selection and layout of mechanical equipment and associated duct and piping systems; and developing mechanical construction and equipment specifications, test and inspection plans, and system design descriptions. The engineer will typically work in a design team environment consisting of a project manager, project engineer, and multi-discipline architectural and engineering staff to produce project design packages of drawings, specifications, and calculations.
Periodic travel to other Merrick offices or project site locations may be required.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports development of project proposals. Develops scopes and budget estimates for mechanical discipline work. Assists in development of project schedules.
- Responsible for planning, conducting and coordinating detailed phases of design work.
- Independently evaluates, selects and applies standard techniques, procedures and criteria to perform a task or sequence of tasks for conventional projects with few complex features.
- Collaboratively uses judgment to determine adaptations in methods for non-routine aspects of assignments.
- Works on multiple projects of moderate size or portions of major projects.
- Receives guidance when necessary on unconventional and/or complex problems, direction on modified techniques and new approaches on assignments with conflicting criteria.
- Assigns tasks to and coordinates work with engineers, designers, and administrative staff.
- Attends project meetings and presents specific aspects of engineering assignment.
- Presents design reviews to clients.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Mechanical Engineering from an A.B.E.T. accredited program.
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience in Mechanical Facilities HVAC and plumbing/piping systems.
- Previous experience with nuclear facility design and engineering is a plus.
- Previous experience with DOE or NNSA projects is a plus.
- Required Certifications: P.E. (Professional Engineer) license.
- Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to obtain a New Mexico P.E. license within 6 months. Ability to obtain licenses for other states.
- Experience in HVAC and plumbing/piping systems design and associated engineering calculations (e.g. Air-handling systems, laboratory fume hood exhaust air systems, duct systems, heating and chilled water hydronic piping systems, natural gas piping systems, domestic water and waste water piping systems, steam and condensate piping systems, compressed air systems, and mechanical system controls).
- Experience sizing and selecting HVAC and plumbing/piping equipment (e.g. air-handling units, fans/blowers, pumps, cooling towers, chillers, boilers, coils, HEPA filtration systems, dampers, valves, and controls).
- Proficient in editing and writing mechanical construction and equipment specifications.
- Experience performing engineering quality assurance checks of project designs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experience using HVAC computer load and design programs such as Trane Trace software.
- Working knowledge of ASHRAE standards.
- Working knowledge of UMC, UPC, and ASME B31 codes.
- Familiar with SMACNA standards.
- Familiar with NFPA standards.
- Familiar with AutoCAD and Revit building information modeling software.
- Requires the ability to sit or stand for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, printers/plotters, scanners, and copiers.
- The job will include periodic visits to job sites.
Competency: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Verbal Communication – Able to clearly communicate to others at all levels within the organization.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick, an employee owned company, offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.