Electrical Engineer III – Nuclear Projects
Merrick & Company is looking for an experienced Electrical Engineer for our Oak Ridge, TN project office. This position supports Nuclear Services and Technology (NST) projects related to Department of Energy (DOE) and various commercial and private clients. Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship.
The NST team specializes in the design of prototype/one-off custom equipment, gloveboxes, hot cells, specialty research equipment and custom-designed, remotely-operated mechanisms for handling radioactive and hazardous materials. Additional specialization includes the design of moderate hazard non-reactor nuclear facilities and facility upgrades.
The preferred candidate will have experience and a passion for electrical and I&C design, be nimble in accepting a wide range of assignments both nuclear and non-nuclear, and enjoy a team design environment. Relocation assistance may be provided as part of the overall compensation package.
The Electrical Engineer position is responsible for electrical design projects and supervision of other Electrical Engineers and Designers and their work products. Work involves a variety of activities including conceptual and detailed design of low voltage and medium voltage power distribution, lighting, grounding, motor control systems, process equipment and instrumentation. Individual will be required to perform non-routine assignments with little or no direction.
Candidate should have extensive knowledge of nuclear related design and have the ability to obtain a security clearance.
Specific Position Requirements
- Lead design development and production of design documents including drawings, narratives, and specifications
- Provide technical guidance and perform reviews of fabrication and construction documents
- Interface directly with client by attending client meetings and making presentations to clients
- Perform design reviews for compliance with electrical codes
- Recommend, communicate, and coordinate design changes to clients and other disciplines
- Perform project quality assurance/quality control, including independent technical reviews and interdisciplinary coordination reviews
- Perform fabrication and construction observation/administration
- Create and manage schedule and budget estimates for electrical design, fabrication, and construction aspects of projects
- Supervise, lead, manage and mentor a team of electrical engineers and designers
- Problem solve, guide and mentor staff
- Assess employee performance
- Participate in hiring process of new electrical staff
- Meet expectations for attendance, punctuality, and accountability
- Ten (10) years progressive experience, minimum
- State of Tennessee PE (or ability to obtain one)
- Nuclear related design (NQA-1, NRTL, etc.)
- Electrical calculations (power distribution, fault circuit analysis, lighting, grounding)
- Work in DOE environment
- Working knowledge of CAD based design platforms
- SKM or ETAP experience a plus
- NEC, ISA, IEEE Regulatory Codes
- Degree Requirements: Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited university
- Client projects for this position requires US Citizenship
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, scanners, and plotters.
- Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
- Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
- We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.
- We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.