Program Manager – Life Sciences/ Biosafety & Biosecurity
Merrick & Company, an employee owned company, is seeking an experienced Program Manager to join our growing team Washington, D.C. The person would become a crucial part of a key Merrick growth initiative in Life Sciences, Biosafety & Biosecurity, and Laboratory Operations markets.
The Program Manager must be capable of directing and managing complex, multi-faceted series of projects, as well as a large team of engineers, technicians, scientists, and other subject matter experts to liaise between areas related to containment laboratory construction, commissioning, and operational planning. The position will work interactively with other teams responsible for laboratory operational planning, development of laboratory IT systems, development of laboratory programs (e.g., biorisk management, large animal laboratory issues, etc.). This position requires the ability to not only be proficient in the technical work but to also direct the development and execution of project schedules, change management and control, budgets, and interface with multi-disciplinary teams of construction/contractors, commissioning teams, engineers, and lab operations specialists. The Program Manager will directly interface with clients to develop high-level execution strategies, problem solving, planning, and execute overall program coordination for high-visibility projects. Profit/Loss accountability at a program level is required and Business Development capabilities are expected. This position requires a high level of demonstrated effectiveness in working with Federal clients, other consulting team members, and in marketing these services to public and private entities.
The successful candidate will be required to interface with clients, and Federal, Local and State government contacts for Life Sciences projects located anywhere within the U.S. Moderate travel (up to 50%) may be required.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide overall direction, strategy, and execution to significant team of personnel, subcontractors, and client representatives.
- Develop, execute, and manage overall program and project strategies and tactics.
- Integrated multi-faceted project disciplines with discrete schedules, scopes, and budgets into a seamless program of execution.
- Manager a team of Project Managers and Technical Leads in multiple project locations.
- Effectively liaise with project team and client in adherence to project quality of deliverables, products, schedule, and budget.
- Develop integrated project budgets.
- Effectively liaise complex issues related to the interface of laboratory construction, commissioning, and operational planning.
- Prepare complex studies, reports, plans, specifications, quantities and cost estimates for projects.
- Direct and mentor a team of junior project managers in the completion of complex tasks and designs.
- Take ownership of projects from start to finish and communicate with clients regarding project issues.
- Prepare scopes of work and man-hour estimates for projects and tasks.
- Responsible for proposal production and implementing marketing initiatives.
- Responsible for ensuring that task and project schedules and budgets are met.
- Responsible for document preparation for regulatory agencies to obtain required permits.
- Exercise initiative, judgment, and knowledge commensurate with the responsibilities of the position.
- Actively participate in technical, professional, and civic organizations.
- Will be expected to adopt and apply all Merrick policies and procedures and to apply them on assignments
- Must possess strong oral/written communications and interpersonal skills and to effectively interface with clients.
- Travel required – Up to 50%.
- Must have a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in project management, laboratory design and laboratory operational programming. Previous experience high- and maximum-containment laboratories is highly preferred.
- Must have past performance of contract management at or above $50,000,000.00.
- Must have demonstrated success in Business Development, Project Management and demonstrated skills in leading project teams.
- Must have a Bachelor of Science Degree in architecture or engineering from an A.B.E.T. Accredited program.
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Business is preferred but is not a requirement if successful project experience is demonstrated.
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.) or Architect (R.A) , credentials are preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Well-organized, detail oriented, and self-motivated professional.
- Strong desires to grow personally as well as professionally in a team environment.
- Ability to lead creation of designs and drawings supporting our client’s overall project goals.
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The job requires the ability to interact with contractors and other team members on construction sites, and the ability to wear basic site safety equipment.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in both a professional office environment and construction environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, plotters, and scanners.
- Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
- Merrick & Company, an employee owned company, offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
- We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
- Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.