Merrick & Company is seeking an experienced Structural Engineer to support Merrick’s growing Oak Ridge, TN office. This position requires an individual who works well with other discipline engineers and architects and who is strong in all aspects of structural design for buildings and equipment. Client projects for this position require US citizenship.
The Structural Engineer will work independently under the supervision of a lead engineer performing mid-level engineering design on projects while receiving close supervision on unusual or difficult problems and general review of all aspects of work. The individual will apply prescribed techniques and procedures in accordance with established criteria to perform assigned tasks as a part of a broader assignment. The position requires teamwork skills to effectively interact with other Merrick engineers located in Oak Ridge and at remote offices to support the overall structural design demand.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily while staying within established schedules and budgets. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The candidate must be able to develop structural designs, drawings, calculations, specifications, reports and other similar design documents and have the following experience:
- Client projects for this position require US citizenship
- Bachelor of Science degree in civil or structural engineering from an ABET accredited program is required; a Master’s degree is a preferred
- Tennessee Professional Engineer license is required, or ability to obtain Tennessee PE license within 6 months
- Four (4) years of related engineering experience is required
- Experience using conventional IBC / ASCE 7 structural design of buildings and other structures for gravity, wind, and seismic loading
- Experience using conventional structural engineering material design codes such as ACI 318, AISC 360, AISI 100, and TMS 402
- Experience using finite element analysis software such as RISA 3D, STAAD Pro, or SAP2000
- Experience using CAD software such as AutoCAD, Microstation, or Revit
- Experience using engineering calculation software such as MathCAD
- Fluency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat software
In addition to the required experience, the following types of experience are preferred:
- Experience with design for Department of Energy governmental facility projects.
- Experience with performing work under a quality assurance program such as ASME NQA-1
- Experience with nuclear facility design codes such as DOE-STD-1020, ASCE 4, ASCE 43, AISC N690, and ACI 349
- Experience with the design of mechanical equipment and material handling systems
- Experience with the design of anchorage and supports for electrical and mechanical utilities
- Experience with 3-D finite element analysis (FEA) of plates and solids
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- Meets expectations for attendance and punctuality.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, scanners, and plotters.
- Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third-party resumes accepted.
- Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
- We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.
- We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.