Merrick & Company office is seeking a responsible experienced individual to work full-time (40 hours per week) for a limited term (6 months maximum) as a Project Assistant for a multi-discipline engineering office in Los Alamos, NM. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic and collaborative environment. Client projects for this position require US Citizenship.
The work for this position is associated with Merrick’s Los Alamos Office. Los Alamos is a small community located in the scenic high desert of Northern New Mexico within commuting distance from Santa Fe. Los Alamos offers access to a wealth of outdoor activities, an excellent public-school system and a low crime rate.
This position will be responsible for providing effective and efficient technical support of process improvement initiatives for the Los Alamos Office Manager, Project Managers, and Project Administrators within Merrick’s Nuclear Services and Technology (NST) group located in Los Alamos.
- Expedite completion of approximately ten, or a reasonable number that can be accomplished within 6 months, process improvement initiatives identified by the office manager and senior project managers.
- Utilize Merrick’s procedures to develop Desk Top Instructions (DTIs) describing the step by step actions needed to document complex engineering design and project administrative processes.
- Given draft documents, hand written notes, and/or verbal direction, develop the DTIs in MS Suite software and assemble documents using Acrobat Writer or other similar software.
- Work with the office manager and senior project managers to refine the DTIs
- Interface with Merrick’s clients to establish training plans and transcripts for team members.
- Provide word processing for engineering reports and specifications.
- Assist with establishing common file structure and cleaning up existing files / folders. Including the electronic archiving of old project files.
- Review DTIs for typographical and grammatical correctness.
- Enter data in, and print documents from, Access databases and Excel spreadsheets.
- Follow established processes to protect sensitive information.
- Must meet expectations for attendance and punctuality. Merrick offers flexible work weeks and daily hours. Establish a work schedule with the office manager to accomplish tasks effectively with team members.
- Experience: A minimum of five (5) years in a professional office environment.
- Education: High School graduate/GED is required. Additional certifications or a college degree is a plus.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite of software, e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work in a team.
- Ability to independently complete work and multi-task in a highly productive, deadline driven environment.
- Technical editing experience of professional correspondence.
- Ability to be trained and master special business related software.
- Client projects for this position require US Citizenship.
- LOCAL candidates preferred. However, working remotely will be considered.
- Previous experience in a professional office such as an Architectural Engineering firm, Medical / Dental, Financial Institution office is beneficial for desired focus on client satisfaction.
- Experience with Department of Energy (DOE) clients and projects in the Los Alamos area is strongly preferred.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, scanners, and plotters.
- Apply online only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
- Merrick & Company, an employee owned company, offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
- We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
- Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.
- We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.