Technical Specialist - Nuclear Hot Cells
Merrick & Company is seeking a Technical Specialist to join our Life Sciences team working on a nuclear facilities project out of our Ottawa, Ontario office.
This Senior Mechanical Engineer will serve as a lead professional engineer for teams of engineers and designers within the mechanical and equipment design groups. This individual is a degreed and licensed professional engineer who can manage multiple tasks. Tasks include the design of containment systems (hot cells, gloveboxes, hoods), material handling systems, radioactive material processing systems, equipment integration and installation, shielded facilities, HVAC systems, process piping systems, and preparation of fabrication drawings, specifications, datasheets and calculations. The successful candidate will delegate work to other engineers and designers and will check their work on projects. The successful candidate will also serve as a Project Engineer providing technical direction, guidance, delegation, and technical planning for select projects. Additionally, the candidate will assist and develop design criteria, manages work scope, schedule and budgets. The Senior Mechanical Engineer is expected to assist with staff planning and reviews.
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams of engineers and designers.
- Serve as Engineer of Record on mechanical designs.
- Follow regimented quality assurance / quality control procedures.
- Detailed design activities include preparation of detailed systems calculations, fabrication and construction drawing packages, equipment datasheets, fabrication specifications, procurement specifications, engineering studies, test plans, and detailed equipment sizing & qualification calculations.
- Responsibilities include planning, conducting and coordinating detailed phases of design work; presenting design reviews to clients; and providing construction administration support including detailed site reciews, factory and site testing and commissioning.
- Promote professional development amongst the team members.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience for either (or combination) AECL, CNL, NRC, DOE, or other reactor or non-reactor projects.
- Demonstrated experience with leading mechanical engineering teams within a complex multi discipline team is essential.
- Familiarity with 3D design software specifically including REVIT and CREO is highly desirable.
- Experience with prototyping, supplier support, factory testing and field startup desirable.
- Familiarity with MS Project or Primavera Sur-Trak a plus.
- Experience with CNSC licensing requirements desirable.
- Experience with nuclear quality assurance standards including CSA N286 and ISO 9001 desirable.
- Professional licensure as a nuclear, mechanical, electrical, or process engineer in the Province of Ontario is strongly preferred.
- U.S. (PE), UK (C.Eng), and European (Eur Ing) professional engineer license holders may be considered.
- A Bachelor of Sciences in Engineering from a Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) accredited program (or equivalent in the US, UK, or European Union) with applicable experience may be considered in lieu of a P. Eng.
- Candidate must hold, or be able to rapidly obtain Government of Canada Secret Level clearance. In the case of not currently holding the clearance, documentation demonstrating compliance to all requirements along with all required completed application forms must be presented for submission to the relevant authorities on the first day of employment.
- Client projects require Canadian Citizenship or permanent Canadian resident status.
- U.S., UK, or European Union member country citizenship may be considered.
- Relocation would be considered for the ideal candidate.
- Candidate must hold, or be able to rapidly obtain Government of Canada Secret Level clearance.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, scanners, and plotters.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; RRSP, unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other applicable status protected by federal, provincial, or local law.
Merrick & Company welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.