Sr. Structural Engineer – Facilities & Equipment Design
Merrick is seeking an experienced Structural Engineer to provide designs for Department of Defense and Department of Energy governmental Facilities for our growing new office of employee owners in Merritt Island, FL.
Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship.
This position will be responsible for supporting all structural design requirements for the Merritt Island office including the following duties:
- Coordinating all support activities required to complete all design efforts and quality assurance processes.
- Working with other disciplines to ensure accuracy of the package, meet schedule, and budget commitments.
- Providing Facility structural system design support for DoD and other governmental agencies.
- Understanding the importance of Business Development, project management for A-E firms, and managing budgets and schedules.
- Working in a design team environment, which includes directing the work of junior engineers and designers, and delegating work as required.
- Collaborating effectively with clients, contractors, fabricators, and other partnering companies.
- Meeting with clients to prepare and/or validate proposed scope of work.
- Preparing fee proposals and estimates for design work.
- Performing structural inspections and assessments of existing structure and equipment.
- Generating comprehensive and detailed engineering products, including technical reports and presentations, calculations, specifications, and drawings.
- Ensuring internal communication and coordination of design efforts occurs.
- Must have minimum fifteen (15) years of commercial facility design experience.
- Must possess effective oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work with high degrees of autonomy.
- Experience with conventional structural design codes is required. These include but are not limited to:
- ASCE 7
- AISC Steel Construction Manual
- Experience in designing NASA/aerospace projects is preferred.
- Experience in working with US Army Corps of Engineers is preferred.
- Experience in working with KSC Design Criteria is preferred.
- Experience managing others, not limited to structural engineers and designers. Experience managing designers and mentoring junior-level structural engineers is required.
- Experience interfacing with client contacts.
- Design/build experience is a plus.
- Strong design experience in both AutoCAD and REVIT is a plus.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Fluency with MathCad and Adobe Acrobat is preferred.
- Extensive experience with FEM software packages (e.g. RISA 3D, SAP2000, STAAD Pro) is required.
- Mechanism, Mechanical Equipment, and pipe stress design experience is preferred.
- Familiarity with mechanical design codes is preferred. Examples include:
- ASME Section VIII
- ASME B31
- 3D solid element stress analysis is preferred.
- Experience with Creo Simulate or similar software is a plus.
- Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship.
- Degree Requirements:
- Bachelor of Sciences in Civil Engineering from an ABET Accredited Program.
- Master’s Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering is a plus.
- Professional engineer license is required.
- Ability to obtain a Florida PE (Structural) within 4 months.
- Local candidates preferred.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, plotters, and scanners.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company, an employee owned company, offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.