Mechanical Facilities Designer II
Merrick is currently seeking an experienced Mechanical Facilities (Building Systems) Designer to provide HVAC, plumbing and piping design for industrial, institutional and government facilities. This position will be assigned/located in our San Antonio, Texas office.
The Mechanical Facilities Designer II position provides computer aided design and drafting support to the Mechanical Facilities Division as well as performs design calculations, layout, and interdisciplinary coordination in the production process of the documents.
- Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship
- Minimum (6) years of experience in mechanical building systems design and drafting
- Strong working knowledge of Revit and AutoCAD doing mechanical design
- Skillset to quickly adapt to strict CAD standards and processes
- Knowledge of HVAC and plumbing engineering principles and practices
- Knowledge of building codes
- Knowledge of design tools involved in production of plans, sections and equipment schedules. Knowledge of Trace 700 or similar load calculation software experience is required.Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Create Revit models of mechanical and plumbing systems to comply with client and Merrick’s Revit standards. Generate construction documents from Revit Models
- Interdisciplinary coordination/clash detection using Revit or Navisworks
- Develop flow diagrams and control diagrams using AutoCAD or Revit
- Use calculations to size and layout ductwork, hydronic and plumbing piping systems
- Participate QA/QC processes
- Familiarity with military mechanical design standards, including UFCs
- Experience in national codes and standards, including ICC codes, ASHRAE standards and NFPA
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- The ability to work both independently and closely with others in a team environment
- Must be able to work effectively with only modest guidance by engineer.
- Individual should be well organized, capable of working on multiple projects at the same time and meet expectations for attendance and punctuality.
- Take personal responsibility to deliver quality projects in a timely manner.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment and meets expectations for attendance and punctuality.
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Verbal Communication – Able to clearly communicate to others at all levels within the organization.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Apply on-line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third-party resumes accepted.
Merrick, an employee owned company, offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.