Senior Instrumentation & Controls (I&C) Engineer I
Merrick & Company is looking for a Senior Electrical Instrumentation & Controls (I&C) Engineer with twelve (12) – sixteen (16) years’ experience. This position will be based at our client site in Borger, Texas for up to 18 months and will return to our Tulsa, OK office at the end of that assignment. The Sr. Engineer will be responsible for the production of innovative and cost effective designs and specifications for Instrument and Controls engineering projects in the Oil, Gas and Chemical industry. This Merrick team member will deliver integrated Instrumentation and Controls (I&C) systems as specified and will be sound in the engineering designs, selection and sizing of control valves. This candidate must be a proficient user of engineering software applications and demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Accuracy and attention to detail is important as well as the ability to meet deadlines and manage priorities.
- Keeps abreast of staff’s technical capabilities, productivity, and workload capacity.
- Monitors all projects in the groups, keeps appraised of deadlines, and advises the Engineering Manager on staff allocation needed to meet deadlines.
- At project initiation, review I&C discipline’s portion of the Project Execution Plan, prepare engineering-hour estimation, resource planning, scheduling and Scope of Work.
- Perform I&C engineering services such as:
- Identify and report changes to project scope.
- Assist with the preparation of proposals, estimates, budgets and schedules.
- Provide assistance with procurement, construction and commissioning activities.
- Assist with the preparation of detailed designs and drawings, specifications, data, calculations and reports.
- Assist with development and/or review/approve all I&C deliverables including Design Criteria, calculations, and instrument specifications UPS.
- Monitor I&C discipline progress and prepare project review status reports. Participate in project risk assessment process, identify ongoing risks, develop workaround plans and manage ongoing risks.
- Participate in internal and external meetings, inter-discipline and vendor documentation review and approval.
- Develop or review/approve control narratives, safety analysis, and provide on-site support for construction during start-up and commissioning as requested.
- Participate in process hazard assessment sessions, such as: HAZOP, HAZID, SIL and Risk Review.
- Advise and direct the project team in the creation of technical deviations, design decisions and code variances.
- Participate in constructability reviews and incorporation of findings into engineering and design. Respond to requests for information from field personnel.
- Provide the seal and signature of the professional engineer, as appropriate, ensuring compliance with all applicable codes, regulations, and ordinances.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 12-16 years of experience, with at least 5 years in an EPC environment.
- Professional Engineering (PE) License
- Relevant experience in oil refining, pipelines, oil sands, and/or petrochemical industries.
- Thorough understanding of the risks and the technical/commercial issues associated with the development of oil gas and chemical projects and operation of such plants/facilities.
- Working knowledge of OG&C project coordination and execution.
- Negotiation and relationship development skills with vendors and clients.
- Working knowledge of related regulatory, oversight and advisory agencies: API, NEC, NFPA & PIP.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- Meets expectations for attendance and punctuality.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Construction Site visits require walking through constructions sites and climbing of stairs/ladders.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, plotters, and scanners.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.