Electrical Engineer III
Merrick & Company is looking for an Electrical Engineer III, with 8 plus years experience, to join our team at our client site in Borger, Texas. This person will be located in Borger, TX for approximately 10-15 months, and will be based out of our Tulsa, OK office after that. The position of Electrical Engineer III will be responsible for designing power systems primarily for Oil, Gas & Chemical projects: Specifying power requirements for refineries, chemical/process plants, and lighting systems; Design experience with low, medium and some high voltage, switchgear, relays, ETAP or equivalent and VFD’s. Able to prepare construction drawings, specifications, and design calculations; and perform short circuit analysis, arc flash studies, load analysis, and photo-metrics using appropriate software.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Application of Knowledge of Building Systems (Conceptual Design):
- Has a working knowledge of code including but not limited to: NFPA 70, 72, 101, 110, 780; UL 96A; and Building Codes.
- Working knowledge of building requirements for special occupancies.
- Works with building/facility owner to ensure that the appropriate systems/products are utilized in their facility.
- Knowledge of the design of power distribution, medium voltage and below.
- Knowledge of the application of emergency systems, legally required systems and optional standby systems.
- Grounding design, proper application.
- Lightning protection design, proper application, system types.
- Lighting design, system types, and understanding of the following concepts:
- Pros and cons for system applications.
- Application of color temperatures.
- Lighting rules such as spacing to mounting height ratio, manual point to point calculations, impact of horizontal and vertical foot-candles.
- Life safety requirements (egress and exit marking).
- Applications of various control systems.
- Fire alarm design:
- Smoke detection design:
- Smoke detection systems.
- Smoke detections applications.
- Other system interconnections.
- Device layout.
- Telecommunications design:
- Systems types.
- Understanding of the EIA/TIA standards.
- Card access system design, system types, functional procedures.
- CCTV system design, system types.
- Intrusion detection systems design, system types and applications.
- Paging and intercommunication systems design, system types and applications.
- Performs analysis of proposed and potential systems to present Value Engineering options to the facility owner for their consideration for the incorporation into the project.
- Documentation of calculations, reflecting code compliance of the following:
- Lighting calculations.
- Power load calculations.
- Short circuit and voltage drop calculations.
- Coordination studies.
- Ensures that there are complete and accurate construction documents.
- Ensures that there are complete and accurate specifications.
- Construction Support:
- Problem solving for field oversights including RFI and/or photograph review.
- Shop drawing/submittal review.
- Field inspections and reports.
- Project Management:
- Leading of junior staff assigned to the projects.
- Supporting staff utilization.
- Occasionally overseeing the work performed by the assigned staff.
- Prepares design estimates for assigned projects.
- Designs project within provided design budget and negotiates additional design fees when scope is expanded.
- Provides direction for what is to be included in design package issues.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering (minimum).
- Minimum 8 years of experience.
- PE License required or eligible to obtain within 6 months.
- NEC Electrical Codes and ETAP experience
- Various PLC and DCS control system architecture.
- Construction and equipment specifications and installation practices for all area classifications.
- Engineering utility systems for industrial equipment / Building utility systems for industrial equipment.
- Refinery and or chemical plant electrical engineering experience required, three years’ minimum.
- Proficient in reading and understanding P&ID’s, instrumentation functionality, and power requirements.
- Knowledge of Electrical Equipment Specification Required including Generators and UPS.
- Travel is required (10 – 25%).
- Apply online only. No email, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
- Requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Construction Site visits require walking through constructions sites and climbing of stairs/ladders.
- Meets expectations for attendance and punctuality
This job operates in a professional office environment and occasional construction site visits. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Construction site visits require wearing of hard hats, safety glasses, hard toe shoes, and climbing of stairs/ladders.
May be required to travel to other office locations. May be required to travel to client facilities or fabrication and manufacturing facilities.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing