Structural Engineer I
Merrick & Company is seeking an entry level Structural Engineer to be part of our growing Duluth, GA office. This team specializes in the design of facilities and equipment structures for a variety of government clients. Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship.
This position will be responsible for supporting all structural design requirements including the following duties:
- Work under a lead engineer to perform entry level design on projects using MathCAD, MS Office and be familiar with finite element analysis software similar to RISA 3D, SAP2000, STAAD, and Etabs.
- Work with a lead engineer to generate comprehensive and detailed engineering products, including technical reports and presentations, calculations, specifications, and drawings.
- Stay within established schedule and budget as outlined by a lead engineer and coordinate with other disciplines as directed by the lead engineer.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Degree Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree (B. S.) in Civil or Structural Engineering from an A.B.E.T accredited program.
- Master’s degree is recommended.
- Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship
- Client projects require that the candidate must have the ability to obtain a DoD clearance if requested
- Zero (0) to three (3) years related experience.
- Must have experience with Microsoft Office software and Internet software.
- In addition, experience in the following process software packages is:
- RISA 3D and/or STAAD
- Sap 2000
- SAFE and/or ETABS
- Adobe Acrobat and/or Bluebeam
- Must have entry level experience with building codes
- Experience in the design of industrial facilities or building facilities is a plus.
- Successful completion of the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering (FE/EIT) Examination is desired.
- Language Ability: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Has the ability to respond to common inquiries from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Math Ability: Has the ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts.
- Local candidates preferred.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Verbal Communication – Able to clearly communicate to others at all levels within the organization; Able to report on progress to project senior management.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Meets expectations for attendance and punctuality.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, scanners, and plotters.
Apply online only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick, an employee owned company, offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.