Structural Engineer – Facilities & Equipment Design
Merrick is seeking a Structural Engineer to be a part of our growing Duluth, GA office to provide designs for facilities and equipment structures for a variety of Government clients. Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship.
This position will be responsible for supporting all structural design requirements for the Duluth office including the following duties:
- Coordinating all support activities required to complete all design efforts and quality assurance processes.
- Working with other disciplines to ensure accuracy of the package, meet schedule, and budget commitments.
- Providing Facility structural system design support for DoD and other governmental agencies.
- Working in a design team environment.
- Collaborating effectively with clients, contractors, fabricators, and other partnering companies.
- Meeting with clients to review design packages.
- Performing structural inspections and assessments of existing structures and equipment.
- Generating comprehensive and detailed engineering products, including technical reports and presentations, calculations, specifications, and drawings.
- Ensuring internal communication and coordination of design efforts occurs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Must have minimum five (5) years of commercial facility design experience.
- Must possess effective oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work with high degrees of autonomy.
- Experience with conventional structural design codes is required. These include but are not limited to:
- ASCE 7
- AISC Steel Construction Manual
- Experience using Department of Defense (DoD) design standards and codes is advantageous.
- Experience in designing NASA/aerospace projects is advantageous.
- Experience in working with US Army Corps of Engineers is advantageous.
- Experience interfacing with client contacts.
- Design/build experience is a plus.
- Strong design experience in both AutoCAD and REVIT is a plus.
- Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Fluency with MathCad and Adobe Acrobat is preferred.
- Experience with FEM software packages (e.g. RISA 3D, SAP2000, STAAD Pro) is required.
- Client projects for this position require U.S. Citizenship.
- Client projects require that the candidate must have the ability to obtain a DoD clearance if requested.
- Degree Requirements:
- Bachelor of Sciences in Civil Engineering from an ABET Accredited Program.
- Master’s Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering is a plus.
- Professional engineer license is required.
- Ability to obtain a Georgia PE (Structural) within 4 months is a plus.
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Meets expectations for attendance and punctuality.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets, scanners, and plotters.
Apply online only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company, an employee owned company, offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within; our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.