Electrical Engineer III
Merrick is seeking an experienced Electrical Engineer III to serve in a variety of energy markets including power generation, particularly within generation facilities such as coal, combined cycle and simple cycle gas turbines, hydroelectric, wind and solar generation. Other projects will include midstream and downstream oil & gas, and renewable fuels. This is a direct, full time position with Merrick & Company.
This engineering position will include the following key responsibilities:
- Under minimal supervision of senior engineers develop electrical design documents and drawings.
- Being primary interface with clients, project management, procurement professionals, and other engineering disciplines in matters dealing with project electrical systems.
- Developing electrical basis of design and scope of work documents.
- Developing equipment specifications for electrical equipment, including power transformers, switchgear, MCC’s, motor specs, and other auxiliary electrical equipment.
- Develop electrical calculations, drawings and reports.
- Ensuring technical accuracy and conformance to project design criteria of engineered work products.
- Ensuring appropriate procedures, design guidelines, and design tools are utilized on projects.
- Travel to domestic client project sites to support projects and assist with marketing Merrick’s capabilities
- Eight (8) – twelve (12) years minimum of electrical design experience in energy, power generation, utilities and/or related industries.
- Expertise in HV and LV switchgear, protection relays, electrical coordination studies and electrical calculations is required.
- Expertise encompassing industrial power document development such as electrical load lists, one-line diagrams, short circuit, load flow and arc flash analysis, power and control schematics, hazardous area classification, grounding layouts, lighting layouts, electrical equipment specifications, power and MCC panel layouts.
- Experience working successfully in a collaborative environment.
- Proficient knowledge of industry codes and standards (NFPA/NEC, IEEE, ANSI, NEMA, API, ISA)
- Experience with power analysis design software (ETAP, or SKM Power Tools).
- Proficient knowledge of electrical distribution systems at various voltages (120 VAC, 480VAC, 4160VAC, and 13KV) as they relate to the power generation industry and other heavy industrial projects.
- Excellent project execution and team communication skills.
- Experience working on refurbishment and upgrades of existing industrial facilities. Proficiency in communicating with client engineering and site staff.
- The position is located in Merrick’s office in Greenwood Village, CO. Local candidates preferred.
- Bachelor of Sciences degree in Electrical Engineering is required
- P.E. (Professional Engineer) required
- The job requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequent travel to client sites will be required (20-30% of the time). Must be mobile in and around ladders, heavy equipment, power distribution systems and switchyards.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as but not limited to: computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets and scanners. There will be occasional site visits to industrial, refining and utility power clients.
Position will require occasion trips to client sites, including large central power stations, renewable generation sites, advanced biotech and chemical plants, refineries and other industrial facilities. Candidate must be willing and able to take and comply with various safety requirements and work in noisy environments while executing their assigned tasks.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; health insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401(k), unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognize the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.