Project Manager – Nuclear and Life Science Support
Merrick & Company provides full service nuclear and life science design solutions to government and institutional clients. Merrick is seeking a highly motivated, team oriented individual to serve as a Project Manager to support our operations in Ottawa, Canada.
Merrick's Ottawa office supports a wide range of clients and projects in the nuclear and life sciences markets. Merrick has some very exciting projects including design of nonreactor nuclear facilities, hot cells, gloveboxes, and specialty equipment for customers including Canadian Nuclear Laboratories, and commercial medical isotope suppliers.
We’ve been successful in winning some large, complex and exciting projects and need a strong project manager accustomed to a regulated work environment with discipline, ingenuity, motivation and skills to lead a multi-discipline team of engineers and designers. Merrick is seeking candidates who have technical and project management experience with design and construction of nuclear/hazardous facility systems, structures and components with an emphasis on confinement of radioactive and other hazardous materials.
This position will be in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
This position will provide project and engineering management of a highly qualified and experienced staff of multi-discipline engineers and designers.
- Serving as a point of contact with the customer, developing project plans, forecasting, establishing and updating project cost estimates and schedules.
- Directing/supervising engineering leads.
- Managing project resources
- Executing projects per the project plans, managing change, and ensuring technical adequacy of the project deliverables.
- Executing projects in accordance with established and exact project QA requirements
- Marketing for new work, proposing on new efforts, and developing a network of clients.
- The technical focus of the applicant will be on design of non-reactor nuclear facilities and nuclear containment and shielding equipment including design of hot cells, gloveboxes, specialty mechanical handling equipment and supporting nuclear facility systems, structures and components.
- Ten (10) or more years’ experience in the technical fields described.
- Background in nuclear facility design and engineering preferred.
- Experience with AECL, CNL, DOE or NNSA projects.
- Experience with CNSC and NRC licensing requirements desirable.
- Experience with nuclear quality assurance standards including CSA N286, CSA N299 and ISO 9001 desirable.
- Experience with supervising engineers and designers.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Scheduling Software (e.g. MS Office, Primavera).
- Strong leadership and interpersonal communication skills.
- Professional licensure as a nuclear, mechanical, electrical, or process engineer in the Province of Ontario is strongly preferred.
- U.S. (PE), UK (C.Eng), and European (Eur Ing) professional engineer license holders may be considered.
- PMI Certificate preferred.
- A Bachelor of Sciences in Engineering from a Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) accredited program (or equivalent in the US, UK, or European Union) with applicable experience may be considered in lieu of a P. Eng.
- Candidate must hold or be able to obtain Government of Canada Secret Level clearance. In the case of not currently holding the clearance, documentation demonstrating compliance to all requirements along with all required completed application forms must be presented for submission to the relevant authorities on the first day of employment.
- Client projects require Canadian Citizenship or permanent Canadian resident status.
- U.S., UK, or European Union member country citizenship may be considered.
- Relocation would be considered for the ideal candidate.
- Requires the ability to sit for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- Be able to work in an environment with open discussions and visitors without getting distracted.
- May be required to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Meets expectations for attendance and punctuality.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Apply on line only. No e-mail, hard copy or third party resumes accepted.
Merrick & Company offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes; RRSP, unique work-life benefits, continuing education and training through the Merrick Learning Institute.
We recognizes the importance of developing top talent from within, our employees have access to a wide range of internal and external training and coaching programs and are rewarded for their achievements through excellent benefits and competitive salaries.
Merrick & Company is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age 40 and over, color, disability, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other applicable status protected by state or local law.